Monday, June 15, 2009

True Blood, Se2 Ep1

It's been a while since I read the second Sookie Stackhouse book, so this morning I spent some time refamiliarizing myself with the plot. Once I started watching the season premiere this morning, I noticed some pretty big differences. First of all, I guess I never realized that the Tara on the series is waaay different from the Tara in the books, who apparently didn't appear until sometime in the second or third books and was never, like, Sookie's best friend. Which is fine, though, because I like the character of Tara in the series. She's spunky. And besides, for a show set in Louisiana, it would be absolutely weird if there were no African American main characters.

Oddly enough, they've decided that the body in the car that is discovered at the beginning of the book and the second season is not Lafayette in the series. I'm unsure as to why they did this. After all, part of the reason that Lafayette got killed at all was because he was going to these sex parties in the book. Having the voodoo lady from the woods killed is kind of weird, because I just can't picture her at sex parties...

Hmm. We'll see what they do with that. Overall, I guess I'm glad Lafayette isn't dead. He's a superfun character. I think it's weird that he's being held captive by Eric, though. WTF??

I'm guessing that the lady that Tara is staying with is the maenad from the book, but time will tell about that as well.

I'm also unsure as to why there's this new character of the new vampire that Bill has to take care of. I don't remember her from the book either.

I read an interview with the show's creator, where he said that the second season would probably be less faithful to the book than the first season was. In some ways, I'm a little disappointed by that. On the other hand, for the most part, the departures that the television series has made from the book so far have been pretty solid. I really enjoy the television series. It's smart and sexy.

(Although, I got to say, I was a little weirded out by Sookie kissing Bill after he bit her and getting her own blood in her mouth. I mean, I've got no problem with kissing after oral sex, but blood... Eew. And messy. Messy, messy, messy. Of course, while we're on this subject, I want to know why no one ever talks about menstruation in vampire stories. Maybe that's gross too, but I just brought up vampires and oral sex in one paragraph. I think it was a natural progression.)

Overall, I'm excited for this season. It's very cool to have an awesome show with new episodes in the summer. Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment